Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Installing NEST Thermostat - two wires

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
NotMe wrote:
"Ian" wrote in message
I am installing a new NEST thermostat, replacing an old two wire mercury
bulb furnace thermostat. There are only two unmarked wires. There's 24
across the wires.

Can anyone tell me which letters on the NEST base (W, Y, O/B, AUX, E, G,
C, etc) they will map to? It has to be the most basic of installations;
open or close the circuit.

Thanks,

Ian

I've been fighting that battle for months. Thankfully I took still photo
before starting and set up a video camera to record the actual steps in
the
process.

Nest is still not working but at least I could go back to where I started
so
we have heat.

Hi,
Oh, my, if you read installation instructions and have difficulty
understanding what it says, wouldn't it be time for help from pro?
While it is being installed, you watch him and learn for next time. Or
Nest customer support no good? Or may I ask what seems to be issue to
complete installation?

I had a simple question, emailed customer service and got an answer back
right away.

Nest may be over kill for your needs, it can handle 2 stage heating, 2 stage
cooling, fan control, and via wifi it can be controlled by your computer,
smart phone or tablet, and firmware be automatically updated. If you cannot
use these features, it seems to be a waste to use on a 2 wire simple heater.