Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default What is smart about a smart DVD player?

What is smart about a smart DVD player?

What is wifi about a DVD player with Wifi?

My friend bought a smart tv, and she says the remote has a keyboard in
it, and it's like a computer. She can iiuc navigate to any webpage
and play any video she finds there.

The descriptions of smart dvd players don't sound like anything that
good.

The smart DVD with Wif sounded like just what I needed*** until I read
descriptions, reviews, and thought about it some more. Now I have big
doubts.

I can't find pictures of the remotes, and at the store they're
probably hidden? Do they have alphanumeric keyboards?

If they only play Netflix and a couple other sources like that, it's
of no use to me. It seems to me my brother's big almost new tv had
one screen that mentioned only Netflix. and he could use it for
Netflix, using only the remote. But there was no keyboard, and I
assume, no web browser in it.

If I can't go straight from the DVD to the net to get what I want,
could I use the DVD's WiFi to receive what is playing on my computer.
amd watch that on the TV? I normally don't care about picture
quality but would it be less? I normally don't care about audio
quality, but the tinnitus in my ear doubled recently, (and when I
watch Leave it to Beaver, recorded at the lowest quality, he speaks so
fast sometimes I can't understand him. Going to the highest quality,
I couldnt tell if that helped.)

***I can't use a smart TV, because afaict, none have outputs except
for external speakers. I have a network of TVs throughout my house
(that I've told you about in the past. I use Powermid to control the
DVD.) and they all must show the same thing, so if I move to another
room, I can turn off one tv and turn on the other. They get their
output from the DVDR with digital tuner through an RF modulator. Or
from the VCR that is installed parallel to the DVDR. I would plug
the DVD with Wifi in parallel to those two, and be able to watch
everything it will receive in any room that has a tv.

Thanks a lot.