Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Portable soldering iron recommendations?

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"rangerssuck" wrote in message
My trusty Portasol has, apparently, given up the ghost. I don't use it
very often, but when I need it (as I did yesterday), I expect it to
work. Yesterday it did not. I filled it with butane, turned it on, and
no gas flowed. The on/off switch feels kind of funky, and I suppose that
after the 20 or so years that I've had it, I can't complain.

So, today I went looking at Amazon, ebay, home depot, etc, and it seems
like there's a pretty huge array, some good reviews and some horrible
reviews for each of them.

I don't want to spend a LOT of money, but I don't want to but crap,
either. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I've got a couple butane soldering irons. They work ok, but recently I
had to do a repair on an alarm panel (fusible link was blown) and didn't
have one in the truck. Rather than a 45 minute trip (one way) back to
the shop I stopped by a local Radio Shack and found one that operates on
a couple AA batteries. Along with it I picked up a small roll of light
(thin) rosin core solder. I also bought a pack of batteries to go in it,
as I didn't expect them to last long. That soldering iron has seen half
a dozen uses in the field now, and at the moment it sitting on my work
bench because I just used to to make up some battery packs. It still has
the first set of batteries in it. The pack I bought has come in handy,
but so far not for that iron.

I would not use it to try and solder a T-tap in 12 ga electrical wire,
but it does a great job for fine soldering of 22ga stuff, circuit boards,
etc and its great in close quarters were I am not 100% certain of the
flammability of the surrounding dust and the glow of a butane iron makes
me nervous.

I don't know what its life actually is because I don't normally use it on
the bench, but I've had it for over a year. Normally it rides around in
my tool pouch in the truck.

P.S. I think if I needed more heat and used it for longer at a time I
would look for one of the old oversized Weller butane irons.

P.P.S. I guess over a year isn't recently...LOL

---