Posted to alt.home.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default How to test for a neutral line in a switch box?

On 12/13/2013 5:16 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:00:18 -0600, "Irreverent Maximus"
wrote:

Usually the black tape on white wire is to denote a switched hot that
is used
in the feed of a 3-way were both conductors in the romex are hots. For
a normal switch this is not necessary.

I just asked about the use of black tape on a white wire. It was a 3-
way IIRC.

I did not turn off a breaker and got my azz zapped (sue me later).

Turn the breakers OFF - note to self, regardless of what you do

That is generally the best advice. I live on the wild side and enjoy
the light show. :-)

I think OSHA has gotten rather ****y about this.

Residential work gets a pass on this, but technically the entire length
of the wire is supposed to be taped. This is not possible with Romex,
but all visible insulation should be, but this is not usually enforced.

(depends on location)

Of course, a new allowance for just a ring of tape might have been passed.
It used to be that the smallest wire size that was allowed a ring of tape
was #6.

Taping an entire length of smaller than #6 wire is a total PITA!

White used as a hot in romex must be re-marked wherever the conductor is
accessible.

White used as a hot in fished wiring is not allowed for #6 and smaller.
Use a wire that is the proper color to start with. For #4 and larger you
can change a 'hot' color to white by re-marking "at its terminations".

Wire #4 and larger can be re-marked green, where accessible, for use as
a ground wire.