Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to test for a neutral line in a switch box?

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 01:40:16 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 22:31:04 -0800, Jennifer Murphy
wrote:

I have a programmable switch that requires a neutral line to work. The
switch boxes in this old house do not have a neutral line. I was told
this by an electrician.

However, my son has a newer house, which may have a neutral line. I have
an old Wiggy voltage tester. How can I test for a neutral line? How can
I tell the identify the line, the load, and the neutral (if there is
one)? I believe the ground will always be a bare wire, right?

Thanks

Look for a white wire that is not connected to a switch.
There usually will not be one unless the power is being fed through
that box and then there will be 2 or more white wires connected
together.

More specifically, there should be *ONE CABLE* that has a black,
white, and bare (there will be more than one). In that one cable, one
that's not connected to a switch will likely be the neutral. Those
that are connected to mechanical switches should be marked clearly as
something other than neutrals (colored tape or marker) but
electricians are often sloppy.