Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default How to test for a neutral line in a switch box?

On 12/13/2013 04:43 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 12/13/2013 05:27 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:16:28 -0600, philo wrote:

NOTE: If one of the wires connected to the switch is white...it is /not/
a neutral but simply the wire going to the bulb. It may have a piece of
tape on it with a color other than white.

Why is black tape used on a white wire (some cases)? It indicates
something, but I don't know what (none electrician).

It indicates that that conductor has been repurposed into a non-neutral
(that is, may have voltage on it) conductor.

NB: don't trust that a non-taped white is in fact neutral. I've seen
plenty that weren't properly re-identified, even though it's a code
requirement.

nate

Yes you are right. Better to verify.

You should have seen what I ran into a few times in factories.

A few times I've seen a piece of rack mounted equipment with a live wire
to the chassis!

The first time I saw that one, I would not leave the building until the
electrician corrected it.

In the second situation I talked to the plant engineer and he replied:

I don't need a lesson in safety! sheesh