Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Recommend a GOOD CFL

David Platt wrote:

If I could find a nice-looking panel 18"-24" square, which could
radiate the equivalent of 5000+ lumens of warm-white (e.g. three
100-watt incandescent bulbs or more) I'd replace the old three-bulb
ceiling fixture in our family room like a shot. We've got CFLs in it,
but they're so bulky I had to remove the diffuser... doesn't look
wonderful.

Yes, this is why I made my own fixture. I just didn't see anything
that was suitable at a decent price. It was still pretty expensive
to buy 10 Cree LEDs and put together a constant current power supply.

To make a standard fluorescent replacement, I'd use 20 of these 1 W
LEDs, I think that is 4000 lumens, and use an off the shelf LED
power supply. That would run almost $60 total parts, but should run
a long time without maintenance. (I hope!) It should replace
two 48" tubes. I have the parts, just haven't getten around to
building it.

Jon