Posted to misc.consumers.house
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds is offline

Default water meter

In article ,
Frank wrote:

Three day investigation on this including on-site inspection including county
water department (in my presence) plus discussion with plumber leads me to
believe
something I've not heard of...water theft. Either someone with a 20K gal
tank drove up while no-one was home and hooked up to exterior outlet, filled
up and drove away or also under cover of dark when when no-one there ran
garden hose several hundred feet and filled their swimming pool. I want to
ask my insurer if my policy (which includes theft) covers this type of theft.
My problem is that a few years back it was documented that any enquiry
about one's policy, in many cases, led to increases in premiums some time
later. Rather than for that to happen I would rather bite the bullet in this
incident and pay than to risk increase in premium... I would but a lock on
exterior outlets.

a 20K tank would weigh over 165000 pounds, not including the weight of
the tank

I seriously doubt someone could steal 20K gallons of water
overnight...it would require a flow of something like 40 gallons per
minute which is probably beyond the capacity of your pipes or a hose