Dave W

Default Replacing gunnel on my canoe (slightly OT)

Get a piece of air dried Oak or Cedar or whatever the canoe builder used.
Cut it to size and soak it under water for a couple of days. It will bend
in like a dream. I would not use cherry since it is not rot resistant, no
matter what the books say. Let it dry in place (clamped) for a week or so.
You will then be able to epoxy it in place. Epoxy is waterproof, that other
stuff is not! I have had tightbond fail on boat projects where it should
have held. The business about scarf is exactly correct. An easy way to
make the scarf on the boat piece is with a flexible disk sander using coarse
grit. These can be rented at most tool rental places. Once that piece is
scarfed, trace the angle to the new piece and grind away. Good luck! The
actual labor should be a couple of hours. If you cannot get airdried wood
in your area, let me know, we have plenty of it here in Maine.
Dave