Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] recyclebinned@gmail.com is offline

Default A question on ethics.

On Friday, December 13, 2013 7:19:29 AM UTC-8, Lee B wrote:
On 12/13/2013 12:59 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

wrote:

My client asked me to pick-out, purchase and install an appliance for

him.

It turned out that the appliance that I picked had a rebate coupon.

I filled out the coupon and mailed it and received the money.

How much of the money should I give to my client?

Hi,

IMHO, all. It is his appliance. He is the registered owner with the

manufacturer I believe. I think you should've filled out his name.

What if the customer knows there was a rebate available? Then it looks

like the OP cheated him. Would the OP have picked that model if there

was no rebate?

Several years ago, I hired someone to paint a room in my mother's house

when I was selling it. He told me to pick the paint I wanted and he'd

buy it. When I was looking for the right color paint, I saw that there

was a rebate and figured great, I can buy a better quality paint for the

same price as the store brand. He bought the paint and did an adequate

job of painting. I asked for the sales receipt and he claimed he

couldn't find it. My first thought was that he'd sent in the rebate,

which cheated *me* out of the discount I was planning on. I wouldn't

hire him again.

Bottom line, OP should have given the rebate form to the customer who

may well have told him to keep it anyhow.

1.You can’t get a rebate without a proof of purchase.
2. The proof of purchase is the invoice or receipt which has MY name on it because I used MY credit card.