Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Recommend a GOOD CFL

"dave" wrote in message
m...
On 12/13/2013 06:16 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
.. .

I thought it was just the opposite -- and I surmised that the reason was
that the bulb was the [principal] heat source, and putting it ABOVE the
base allowed most of that heat to dissipate via convection.

Agreed.

Why would the tube heat up if it just holds fluorescing gas?

Nothing is 100% efficient.

The heat is mostly in the case, I betcha.

I use a 5000K 100W-equivalent CFL in my bedroom, mounted upright. The bulb is
warm (though not remotely approaching "hot"). The base is cool, seemingly at
room temp.