Posted to alt.hvac,sci.engr.heat-vent-ac,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
[email protected] vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com is offline

Default Need CFM for Brundage Fan

*+-If the run winding quits, it might spin for a few seconds when it starts
*+-and then stop, or it may just sit there and buzz for a few seconds. If
*+-the start winding quits, it may spin up to speed very, very slowly, or
*+-again, just sit there and buzz.

Exactly!!!

*+-Out of curiosity, what kind of furnace is it? Gas, oil, electric? Also,
*+-where in the world is it?

New York City. 1964 York/BorgWarner. Gas.

My nabe was built from land cleared for parking from the 1963 World's Fair.

Am I right in thinking that new oil furnaces are more likely to produce big
gains in efficiency than a gas one?

*+-The new furnace "should" be sized by analyzing the house: how many

I know. I'm a chemical engineer who is considering doing HVAC to get my PE.
(My EIT is from 1981). So I took an HVAC course a year ago. I also know that
since we have plenty rooms, it may take a while to do the caclulations.

I found a web site for Brooklyn Fans who claim to sell Brundage fans. I
emailed them. Also I found an HVAC shop (on THomas Register) in Kalamazoo
which is named Brundage. Is it possible York had them make them?
They seem to only have fifty employees.

I can't believe there are no markings with CFM on the fan. Home Depot sells
the fans by CFM. Maybe the sticker fell off long ago. Still, we're the
original owners, so I doubt it. (My folks died. But my uncle lives in the
other apartment, and he's an 80yo Electrical Engineer who spent ten years as
a submarine officer. He found the bad capacitor.)

Right now I'm hoping everything works fine. Fingers crossed. It's 25F
outside. WHich is why I thought of preparing.. just in case.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm