Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Harris[_3_] James Harris[_3_] is offline

Default Air brick regulations or recommendations

Phil L" wrote in message
James Harris wrote:
Anyone know what the UK regulations are for air bricks? Or, failing
that, any general recommendations on their use and airflow to the rest of
house? By air brick I mean something like this:

http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbvie...-air-brick.jpg

I probably should ask some specific questions but they would be many!
so it may be best to get some general advice first.

It depends what you want to know.
It also depends whether your house has blown wool insulation or will be
getting it in the future.
And whether your downstairs floors are suspended (floorboards on beams).
Having changed probably 5000 of these over the years (CWI installer) I may
be able to help you with specifics

I got some ideas from the official regs but overall found them confusing so,
yes, I think I'll need to ask.

In summary this is for a first floor flat with a concrete floor. There is a
neighbouring flat below and a loft above. An air brick vents into a kitchen
cupboard.

Am concerned about ventilation into the flat rather than that to the
interior of the walls. I gather there are two reasons for such an air brick:
condensation and keeping the air quality acceptable. About right?

How much airflow is required into the kitchen and other rooms? Does it
depend on whether there are naked-flame fires in those rooms? (The flat has
no gas or open fires. All cooking and power are electric.)

Reason for asking: to limit winter cold air flow to just what's needed but
also to ensure enough is maintained. The flat was built around 1990 if that
gives some idea of the likely airtightness of the rest of the flat apart
from the air brick.

Any guidance appreciated.

James