Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] rick5252stringer@gmail.com is offline

Default Help with 60's-70's Craftsman Table Saw ID and parts, please.

On Monday, September 22, 2008 2:42:47 PM UTC-5, Goose wrote:
I am looking for some help for the Craftsman 10" Table Saw that I
inherited from my Dad. I remember him buying it used in the early
70's, so my guess is that it is a late 60's early 70's model. I have
looked all over it in search of a part number in hopes of fixing it up
a little but the only thing that I can find is the word "Emerson" and
a part number that no one recognizes on the bottom of the insert. The
insert has a little lever that you lift to install and remove the
insert. The Saw is belt driven, with the motor hanging out back of
the saw, and a V-belt running to a pulley driving the blade. The Tilt
adjust is on the left, the height adjust in on the front, and the
adjustments are made with 4" or so plastic knobs with plastic
handles. There is a angle scale on the front with a metal indicator.
The Top is cast iron and it has one open grid cast iron wing. The
fence is a "T" type with a lever that you push down to lock it in
place, the fence also has a knob for "fine adjustments" that is
spring loaded and engages a track under the metal rail that is
attached to the front of the saw and the wing. There is a nice big
"Craftsman" logo on the front. There are no markings on the motor,
but it is wired for 110V. The on/off switch is mounted under the
table just to the right of the blade on the front of the saw. It is a
grey rocker switch with no "safety key". The saw body looks like bent
sheet metal and is painted black. It has a leg set attached that is
made similar to the body of the saw.

With that said, There are several things that I would like to fix on
the saw if I could. The angle and elevation controls have about a 1-2
turn "slop" in them before they engage to move the blade, and the
"lock down" bolt that is on the front seems to have no effect. What
is needed to fix these? It also sounds like some bearings may be
going, is there a good place to get information on how to replace
those?

Thanks.

Mike