Charlie Self

Default OT us soldiers re-enlisting at a high rate?

Doug Winterburn responds:

The first link was about a draft, written by a former AF 1st Sgt., who
served his entire time in the volunteer military. Given that combination,
I'm not at all sure he's the best source for an opinion stating the draft
will never come back. He can't see how it would be done, but, then, he
doesn't appear to know how it WAS done for upwards of 30 years. When it
comes back, expect the same screw-ups and dissatisfactions and complaints,
tripled, because women will now be included.

I think it boils down to the fact that we have as many people in the
military as the budgeteers (congress and senate) are willing to support.
And if more are needed, there are enough volunteers available without
reinstating the draft unless we're going to double or triple the size of
our military.

From what I've read, some major increase in size is both necessary and
justified. We have troops scattered all around the world, in not spots, warm
spots and chilly spots. Some of those troops have been in place for over a
year, and some are being returned for a second year, with no indication of when
the rotations might be over. This kind of thing was semi-acceptable during
WWII, when draftees were signed up for the duration plus six months, but in
today's more truculent society, it isn't working all that well. Again, from
what I read.

The obvious cure is the simplest, and it is expensive: more troops. That's not
to necessarily put more troops on the ground in various hot spots, but it is to
put different troops on the ground, giving those who have been there, done that
and worn the T shirt something more than 8 or 10 or 12 weeks as a reprieve.

Congress may or may not approve more money for such a step, but sooner or
later, constantly rotating people into situations where they may get killed is
going to affect morale much worse than it already has. When that happens, you
end up with a de facto draft anyway--which we have at least in part now, with
retention of people who were on their way out, and by calling up inactive
reservists. It's only a short step to a draft, which is probably going to be
accompanied by a slowing of pay raises, slower promotion, etc. as beginning
cost cutting measures.

Charlie Self
"When you appeal to force, there's one thing you must never do - lose." Dwight
D. Eisenhower