Posted to alt.home.repair
Irreverent Maximus Irreverent Maximus is offline

Default Digital multimeter

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/11/2013 5:42 PM, Larry W wrote:

You can do 90% or more of typical DIY work requiring a DM with the cheap
ones available from Harbor Freight, often for free with a coupon and
another purchase. Normal price is about $5 or so.

I do essentitaly all my VOM work with the free HF
units. This includes home, and I've got several
in my two vehicles. I use them for repairs of
electric alarm locks. And a couple Sundays ago,
used one to help fix a 300,000 BTU (think it was
about that size) furnace at church. Recently gave
one to a friend who was in town, and didn't have
a VOM with him.

Hi,
Maybe for your type of work. Ever had one calibrated?
I always maintain one meter calibrated. I don't send it
to lab. I take it to where I uised to work where calibrated
referwnce unit is maintained. I check mine against.

Fluke recommends that their meters be calibrated annually. They used
to do it for free. Just pay for all of the shipping. If it is the
oops, I dropped it again meter, no one cares. Those are a proof of
concept tool and are meant to be kicked around, unlike the $300 plus
meters that generally stay in their hard cases. Ever drop a Meger?
That's an expensive oh sh#t! :-)