Posted to alt.home.repair
Irreverent Maximus Irreverent Maximus is offline

Default Digital multimeter

On 2013-12-11, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
What should I look for in a digital multimeter for home use? I'd like to
spend less than $50, if possible, but would be willing to spend more if
it makes a big difference for home use.

Any recommendations?

I'd recommend a Fluke 114:

http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-114-Elec.../dp/B000IZ9FD0

Fluke makes the best most reliable meters, ever. You'll be able to
pass it on to yer kids.

This one will meet yer price ceiling and generally gets good reviews
for a meter in that price range, but is not as sturdy/rugged as a
Fluke (nothing is!).

http://www.amazon.com/Extech-EX330-A.../dp/B000EX0AE4

From there on, it's a crap shoot. You can find a usable meter (how
long????) on the $10 table at any auto parts/hardware store, but you
get what you pay for.

nb

True enough. I needed a quick/cheap meter and picked up an Ideal 61-340 for
around 30 bucks at Lowes. Thing works great and does have a lot of bells and
whistles. The main thing is learning how to use a DMM, safely, and with the
understanding that they usually have a bit of delay in contrast to analog
meters. Getting one of those "voltage beepers" is also a handy tool. I have
a pair of Ideal wire strippers that have one built into the handle.

for the price.