Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Repair cracked grout

"Dennis C" wrote in message

Sorry I think I didn't make the photos public, so it was
asking you to log on. Please try this link:
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjNMd6pt

Sorry everyone and thanks for all the responses.

Nope, that is no good either.

Regardless, I re-read your post and realized that the exact location of the
needed repair had not dawned on me. You do NOT want grout between counter
and back splash; what you DO want is silicone caulk and that is what should
have - probably was - used when things were originally installed.

You don't want grout there because it will wick in water and that water
may - with time - mess something up, You can tell whether what is there now
is caulk or grout by pressing it with your fingernail...grout is hard, caulk
will flex. If it IS grout - shouldn't be but if it is - I'd probably use
grout to fill the missing part. If caulk...

Silicone is rather messy and does not keep well once opened so this is what
I would do...

1. Buy the smallest amount of silicone - PURE silicone - caulk you can find
in the color you need.

2. Mask off both counter and back splash as needed to keep the caulk only
where you want it.

3. Squeeze out an appropriate amount and push it in with your finger. Clean
your finger, dampen it (finger) and smooth the caulk to conform to the shape
of what is/was there; generally, that is a slight cove feathered out to
nothingness at the edges which is where the masking tape should be.

4. Remove tape and let the caulk cure.

--

dadiOH