Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D'Amico[_2_] Danny D'Amico[_2_] is offline

Default How to test a wall thermostat to see if it's actually working?

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 18:00:40 -0800, wrote:

May be different in your part of the world and I'm not
sure what that code actually says. But every furnace I've
ever seen there has been at least one emergency switch with
a red plate. Sometimes it's in the basement stairwell,
with the furnace in the basement.

The California-specific PDF that I was sent says what you say,
in that a switch must be within sight of the furnace; but it
also allows for the door switch serving double duty as that shutoff.

Literally, that PDF says: "a disconnecting means must be located
within sight of, and readily accessible to, the furnace. The blower
door switch may be acceptable in some areas as a disconnecting means".

So, from that, I must assume the blower door switch is *my*
disconnecting means. I'll snap a photo of the electrical wires
tomorrow (in the daylight) to show you what mine looks like.