Posted to alt.home.repair
Irreverent Maximus Irreverent Maximus is offline

Default How to test a wall thermostat to see if it's actually working?

wrote in message ...
On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 7:26:39 PM UTC-5, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 15:08:26 -0800, wrote:

Turn furnace switch off.

There is no furnace switch, that I know of.

May be different in your part of the world and I'm not
sure what that code actually says. But every furnace I've
ever seen there has been at least one emergency switch with
a red plate. Sometimes it's in the basement stairwell,
with the furnace in the basement.

Some units will use a cord plugged into a receptacle. Usually
this is only for control voltage, but in his case the control
power supply also powers the blower. He might have a disconnect
that he has not noticed. Usually this is required, but if in
eyesight of the panel I don't think it is in this case.