Posted to alt.home.repair
Irreverent Maximus Irreverent Maximus is offline

Default How to test a wall thermostat to see if it's actually working?

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...

Hi,
Then there is no reason blower would run. Just jumper W and C at the
furnace after taping down the cover interlock switch. If furnace works
go to 'stat and do the ssame. If furnace does not start then can assue
wire is broken or loose some where.

He already determined that the blower came on. Now, we need to determine
why. That is why I asked for him to get the t-stat set up to all off, then
have the cover replaced. If the blower turns back on something is making
an improper contact, one of the relays is stuck, or the HTR relay is not
functional (bad coil). That is if he is correct when he stated that he had
a nominal control voltage. 27vac, I believe.

Be careful asking him to play with the access door switch. That switch has
120V going to it. Sometimes they are not finger proof. :-)