Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Newsreader Needed

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote...
Swingman wrote:
On 12/9/2013 10:56 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

The new system is a win 7 64 bit system. The email client is in
office 2007, specifically outlook 2007. You used to be able to
read UseNet newsgroups in Outlook 2007, but Microsoft have removed
anything that does not use their own servers servers for
newsgroups.

This latest version (24.1.1) of TB is ****ing me off. Unstable, not
responding from the simple saving of an email to a storage folder,
etc. Most problematic version I've had on this Win7 box in a good
while.
Feels like it may be an add-on/Filter issues, but they all show as
compatible, and the few add-ons/Filters I need is what makes TB
usable for me.

Sorry for piggybacking on your post Karl, but to comment on Lee's
comment above - Outlook in any of its releases, never supported
nntp. The closest it ever came was to allow you to configure
newsgroups, which upon execution, called OE. Outlook itself never
handled usenet - it shelled OE.

Actually three issues here.

The first issue is that they used to offer a nttp work around. You
could download a stripped out Outlook Express or Windows Mail. It
would just do the newsreader function. All email and other functions
would be done in outlook. They no longer offer this work around. You can,
of course, access groups on the Microsoft Exchange. You are
not allowed to go outside of the Microsoft "family".

This is exactly what I had said. The workaround you refer to was a shell to
OE.

The second issue is related to the changes that Microsoft made in
Outlook. A number of third party developers offered an add on that
would put the nttp function back into outlook. I tried to download
one and could not get it to work. I sent the developer an email and
asked about it. He informed me that Microsoft created a number of
"security upgrades" to outlook that would make his program and others
like it to be seen as a virus. They even sent out info to the anti
virus people so they would think it was a virus too.. Avasti flagged
it and would not let me download it. I turned off Avasti and Outlook
would not let me download it. Yep, Outlook flagged it too. And each
version of Outlook gets even more heavy duty in terms of excluding
these prohibited products. Apparently Big Brother Microsoft want to
"protect" us from UseNet.

Which I do not disagree with, but only points to my single comment - Outlook
has never been an nntp client. It has always relied upon a shell to do
newsgroups - whether those were native Microsoft, or third party - or
whether they were ultimately eliminated.

The third issue, common to all Microsoft email programs is that they
end up taking a lot of the computers resources if very many files are
stored in the program. Which is why you need to empty files and
archive what you want to keep on a semi regular basis. When the nttp
function was put into outlook, either with a Microsoft or a third
party solution , this drain on computer resources greatly
accelerated. In fact some individuals said that their computer went
into a constant "grind", apparently named because the hard drive was
working almost all the time.

That may be true, but it is not really relevant to the statement that I
made. I made no statements at all that were relevant to any performance
characteristics of either Microsoft, or third party products.

And since Outlook is primarily used by businesses, they wanted to
prevent this. Which is probably one of the motives for excluding
Usenet access. They make the decision rather than leaving it up to us
peasants.

This statement is (sorry....) pure bull. Businesses thrived on usenet for
years. The decisions to cripple Outlook by not including an nntp interface
was purely Microsoft. It had nothing at all to do with business.

I am really happy with Outlook. My wife and several people who got a
similar system are really happy with Outlook. Very similar to what
we used on out XP systems. Actually a noticeable improvement over
Outlook Express. Just no newsreader. Oh well, there is not that many
of us old farts who still use it. And the "modern" Microsoft is
certainly not going to support anything that keeps advertising
dollars out if its pocket.

I agree. I use Outlook daily. I love it. It would be better - and it
always would have been better if it had an nntp component, but for what it
is - it is great in my opinion.

And I am really happy with Office 2007. It is not the latest, but it
is good and was a freebie on my new system.

I'm still on Office 2007 as well, and like you, I see no reason to migrate
off. It simply works. For all of the bitching about MS products, it just
simply works. I don't really care for any of the other, more estoeric
conversations about it and competing products.

But no newsreader, soooooo....., That is why I need an independent,
dedicated newsreader. That way I can get my newsfeed. And I can use
the other programs on the computer. And the computer will run fine. And
no fights or internal conflicts with nttp versus the Microsoft
Machine. My hard drive will thank me. It is amazing that I have to
work so hard to regain a little bit of function that has been around
for years. Oh well, I will do whatever is required to function where
and when I choose on the net. Regardless of what Bill Gates or Steve
Ballmer thinks I should do.

You really should not have to work too hard. There have been plenty of
really workable solutions proposed. Pick one that you like and get on with
it. Methinks this has gone well beyond the point of being an informative
thread, to one that is just swirling in its own misery.

--

-Mike-