Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels[_3_] Lee Michaels[_3_] is offline

Default Newsreader Needed

"Mike Marlow" wrote...
Swingman wrote:
On 12/9/2013 10:56 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

The new system is a win 7 64 bit system. The email client is in
office 2007, specifically outlook 2007. You used to be able to read
UseNet newsgroups in Outlook 2007, but Microsoft have removed
anything that does not use their own servers servers for newsgroups.

This latest version (24.1.1) of TB is ****ing me off. Unstable, not
responding from the simple saving of an email to a storage folder,
etc. Most problematic version I've had on this Win7 box in a good
while.
Feels like it may be an add-on/Filter issues, but they all show as
compatible, and the few add-ons/Filters I need is what makes TB usable
for me.

Sorry for piggybacking on your post Karl, but to comment on Lee's comment
above - Outlook in any of its releases, never supported nntp. The closest
it ever came was to allow you to configure newsgroups, which upon
execution, called OE. Outlook itself never handled usenet - it shelled
OE.

Actually three issues here.

The first issue is that they used to offer a nttp work around. You could
download a stripped out Outlook Express or Windows Mail. It would just do
the newsreader function. All email and other functions would be done in
outlook. They no longer offer this work around. You can, of course, access
groups on the Microsoft Exchange. You are not allowed to go outside of the
Microsoft "family".

The second issue is related to the changes that Microsoft made in Outlook.
A number of third party developers offered an add on that would put the nttp
function back into outlook. I tried to download one and could not get it to
work. I sent the developer an email and asked about it. He informed me
that Microsoft created a number of "security upgrades" to outlook that would
make his program and others like it to be seen as a virus. They even sent
out info to the anti virus people so they would think it was a virus too..
Avasti flagged it and would not let me download it. I turned off Avasti and
Outlook would not let me download it. Yep, Outlook flagged it too. And
each version of Outlook gets even more heavy duty in terms of excluding
these prohibited products. Apparently Big Brother Microsoft want to
"protect" us from UseNet.

The third issue, common to all Microsoft email programs is that they end up
taking a lot of the computers resources if very many files are stored in the
program. Which is why you need to empty files and archive what you want to
keep on a semi regular basis. When the nttp function was put into outlook,
either with a Microsoft or a third party solution , this drain on computer
resources greatly accelerated. In fact some individuals said that their
computer went into a constant "grind", apparently named because the hard
drive was working almost all the time.

And since Outlook is primarily used by businesses, they wanted to prevent
this. Which is probably one of the motives for excluding Usenet access.
They make the decision rather than leaving it up to us peasants.

I am really happy with Outlook. My wife and several people who got a
similar system are really happy with Outlook. Very similar to what we used
on out XP systems. Actually a noticeable improvement over Outlook Express.
Just no newsreader. Oh well, there is not that many of us old farts who
still use it. And the "modern" Microsoft is certainly not going to support
anything that keeps advertising dollars out if its pocket.

And I am really happy with Office 2007. It is not the latest, but it is
good and was a freebie on my new system. I am looking at the various
programs and bought a couple used books for a penny on Amazon for reference
material and a couple CD video tutors for about $6. (Yep, I still read
books. And the used price is much cheaper than the Kindle versions of these
books.) I have a number of project soon that will put these programs to
work. Again, this all works out for me.

But no newsreader, soooooo....., That is why I need an independent,
dedicated newsreader. That way I can get my newsfeed. And I can use the
other programs on the computer. And the computer will run fine. And no
fights or internal conflicts with nttp versus the Microsoft Machine. My
hard drive will thank me. It is amazing that I have to work so hard to
regain a little bit of function that has been around for years. Oh well, I
will do whatever is required to function where and when I choose on the net.
Regardless of what Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer thinks I should do.