Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Newsreader Needed

Bill wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
message
Leon wrote:
On 12/10/2013 7:25 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I used Outlook Express for years until they
"improved" it making it about useless for
newsgroups.
I've used Outlook Express from Win 95a, Win 95b, Win
98 and WinXP. I still use it with Win8 in an XP
virtual machine. I am unaware of any changes that
made it useless for news groups. What might those
changes be?

OLE is no longer available on Win 7 and 8. Those are
the changes.
It should still be available to those who wish to
downgrade to IE6. OE was always a component of IE, not a
stand alone product.

Can IE 6 be installed in Win 7 or 8? I'm thinking MS would have
conniptions if one tried to do so.

Of course downgrading to IE6 is
worse than a sharp stick in the eye.

Sounds like "just asking" for a virus!

Absolutely not. Don't use that browser. You'd just be installing it to get
OE. Simply do not make it your default browser and all it will do is eat up
a small amount of disk space.

--

-Mike-