Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Questions about programmable switches

"Jennifer Murphy" wrote in message The minimum it
said it needed was actually 40W.

Does the switch really draw 40W for its own use? That seems like a lot
for a small electronic circuit. It does have an LED screen that could be
on Hi all the time depending on user settings. I have mine set to dim
after 8 seconds.

With a regular toggle switch, off is an open circuit (no current
flowing), right?

With a regular on/off switch, no current will flow when off if it is
operating properly.

The programmable switch has to have a connection through the load back to
the neutral of the AC power. It will take a certain ammount of a load to
provide that. Some loads like the new CFL or LED bulbs may not work as
loades either.

The programmable switch doen not draw 40 watts , but much less maybe a watt
or two or even less.
If it drew much power at all and you put an old filiment light bulb as the
load, it would glow maybe a dull red. I doubt you would see anykind of glow
at all with the switch in the off position even though a small ammount of
current will be flowing.

A 60 watt bulbs takes about 1/2 of an amp or 500 ma. On dry skin you can
feel about 1 or 2 ma. Get up to around 50 ma and it can be painful. Much
more and maybe death.