Morris Dovey

Default Newbie question: How to make finger joint cut

Scott Kuhn wrote:

... it is simpler to use
than stones, because instead of having to move the tool across the
stone at a constant angle, you just have to clamp the tool into the
jig at the correct angle and turn the machine on. Seems to take some
of the required skill out of the equation, no?

No. There are simple, easy-to-use tool holders for controlling
the angle at which the tool being sharpened contacts the
sharpening surface. I have an inexpensive little jig from Lee
Valley that I use for chisels and plane irons - that does an
absolutely gee-whiz job.

FWIW, you're unlikely to ever burn a tool (spoil its temper)
during hand sharpening - and I'd almost /guarantee/ that you will
with a powered grinder. DAMHIKT

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA