Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Questions about programmable switches

On 12/9/2013 8:58 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

So the programmable switch uses the load
as a neutral for the timer circuit?
That's interesting.

I put a quote mark around the 'fake neutral' to try and indicate it is not a
true neutral. The hot wire with 120 volts on it goes to the switch. The
wire leaving the switch goes through the load and back to the neutral. That
is the reason for the minimum load. With no load , there is no return for
the power and the switch will not work.

When the load is powered up there are a couple of volts dropped across the
switch to keep it powered up.

Volt dropping: "Hey, did you know that I'm distantly
related to DC? You look great in that insulation.
Black is really your color. You're hot. Love the way
you keep your split ends under a wire nut like that.
Millie Amp says hi. She's got great potential. You
do know that Edison and I were best friends?"

--
..
Christopher A. Young