Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default Questions about programmable switches

On 12/09/2013 06:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/9/2013 4:56 PM, philo wrote:
On 12/09/2013 02:04 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
Philo, the 740B replaces a standard light switch. It needs a neutral.

So if the Switch box onlys has 3 wires as Jennifer described ( the
white is a switched "black", not a neutral), then a real neutral would
need to be pulled in.

Thanks

OK sorry, I did not take a close look...I thought it was a plug-in
device.

I guess I'd Google for a programmable switch with neutral not required

How would run any 110VAC or 120 VAC device,
and not have a neutral? Don't think that's
ever been done.

In a switch box there would not normally be a neutral wire...
there would be a (black) "hot" and the other wire is the one going to
the bulb.

It would be against electrical code to use the ground wire (green) as a
return.