Scott Kuhn

Default Newbie question: How to make finger joint cut

"J. Clarke" wrote in message The problem with questions like this is that there is no "right" answer.
The "best" way to do it depends on too many factors. If all you've got it
a Swiss Army Knife and you're a broke student with plenty of time then you
can do it, very carefully, with a Swiss Army Knife, sharpening it on a
coffee mug in the cafeteria as needed. On the other hand, if you're the
CEO of Delta you hand the piece to an engineer and tell him to whip you up
a machine that takes whatever he has in at one end and produces finished
parts at the other (OK, I'm exaggerating--he'd probably just pull a radial
arm saw off the line if he didn't already have one).

Part of the "art" of woodworking is figuring out how to do what you need to
do with what you have and failing that what's the best thing to do about
it--the "best thing to do about it" is not necessarily get a tool optimized
for that one job--there may be one that does it "good enough" and does a
lot of other stuff that you've been working too hard at with what you have.

I agree...clearly there are many ways to skin this cat. I got a good
chuckle out of your swiss army knife example, especially the part
about sharpening on the coffee mug. :)

sdk