Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default how wide the snow path

gregz wrote:
micky wrote:
For those of you who shovel your sidewalks by hand, no snowblower or
employee doing it, how wide do you shovel?

Without exception, as far as I can see, my neibhbors shovel the whole
width of their personal sidewalk (to their door) and the one at right
angles to that (to the neighbors), which is about 3 feet.

OTOH, I shovel the width I need to walk on the sidewalk without
getting snow in my shoes or in the cuffs of my pants, about 18", which
is two widths of my lightweight aluminum shove. or two overlapping
widths when I use the coal shovel I found in the trash and cut off to
be relatively straight at the end.

Which do you do?

If you do the whole width, do you look down on, despise, people like
me? Or do you wish you could be like me? or do you ignore me?

If I had a community sidewalk, I would probably try to clear the whole
thing, and some salt. Most of travel at my house is through the driveway.
Unless I expect a lot of company, I do the least possible. If my two leaf
blowers don't do it, I just sparsely push the snow around, with a little
salt.

Greg

We generally don't get mor than 4-6 inches anymore, but got 17 inches 4
years ago. that required some work. My cavalier was in my front lawn. I had
to clear about 6 feet in back of it, to get on the street. Probably 25
inches at the curb.

Greg