Posted to alt.home.repair
Snag[_4_] Snag[_4_] is offline

Default required clearance between fireplace double pipe and 2 x 4's??

RobertMacy wrote:
fireplace has double pipe exhaust going straight up. Present
construction has NOTHING near that pipe and the only place the pipe
structure is touched [mounted] is a couple of places. one is the
transition from room into attic. That transition is done with a
square sheet flashing made for such. The wood surrounding only
touches the outer edges of that flashing, about 1-2inches at the
smallest. Round pipe through a square metal flashing section. and the
flahsing has vertical metal pieces extending up/down approx 1.5
inches.
The question relates to the fact that I need to make a robust
structure in that area and a 2x4 may be touching the double pipe's
outside surface. Is that a good idea? [Poorly worded question
garranteed to get the answer, no.] Does code allow it in most cases?
Does safety dictate the 2x4's should be kept at least the distance
from the outside of the pipe the same distance that the flashing
provides, at the minimum separation?

Are you sure that's double wall and not triple ? Is this a wood burner or
gas log fireplace ? IIRC the triple requires like 6" clearance at the
ceiling where it goes from single wall , double would be even more . I'll be
installing a triple wall stack sometime this week for my wood burning stove
, and there won't be any wood closer than 4" at any point .
--
Snag

---