Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Questions about programmable switches

Jennifer Murphy wrote:
On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 13:59:32 -0800 (PST), jamesgang
wrote:

On Monday, December 9, 2013 3:08:40 PM UTC-5, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 11:36:37 -0800 (PST), jamesgang
How far is the outlet from the switch. If you can get a piece of 14/3 between the two you can add a neutral.
The outlet is only about 10 feet from the switch box as the crow flies,
but it goes under the porch or over the front door. The existing wiring
is from the 1940s, at least some of it. One of the lines coming into
that switch box is fabric covered. I think fishing a line would be
impossible, at least for me.

But doesn't the neutral have to go back to the circuit breaker? That's
clear at the back of the house.

Nope, the neutral can come from the outlet since it's the same circuit.

You could also run power from a closer source if you have an outlet closer to the switch. Run a new piece of 14/2 power from a nearby outlet to the switch box. Then use the existing 14/2 line that is already going to the switched outlet as new switched power to it. Disconnect and cut back the original power line in the switched outlet but leave the end in the box.

There is an outlet about 3 feet away on the other side of the wall, but
it's on a different circuit breaker. In any case, me trying to follow
those instructions would be a surefire recipe for setting either my hair
of the house on fire. I'll stick with the 550 switch that doesn't
require a neutral and remember to keep anyone from plugging in a
compressor. If I need the other switch, I'll hire an electrician.

Thanks for the help.

How about a - programmable plug in light switch - ?
Place the above between the dashes into Google search.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY