Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default Questions about programmable switches

On 12/09/2013 02:04 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 14:35:56 -0500, Retired wrote:

snip

The 740B has a limit of 1800 watts and no minimum, but it requires a
neutral line. The receptacle where I want to put it has just three
wires, which I think are the line (hot), the load (lights), and the
ground (bare wire).

Is there any way to use the 740B in that receptacle?

It looks like it just connects to a standard three prong receptacle
and does not require any special wiring.

Jennifer, you say "receptacle", but you mean "switch box".

Or "junction box"? Or is that a closed box?

What's a receptacle? Or did I make that word up?

Philo, the 740B replaces a standard light switch. It needs a neutral.

So if the Switch box onlys has 3 wires as Jennifer described ( the
white is a switched "black", not a neutral), then a real neutral would
need to be pulled in.

Thanks

OK sorry, I did not take a close look...I thought it was a plug-in device.

I guess I'd Google for a programmable switch with neutral not required