Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default Questions about programmable switches

On 12/09/2013 10:51 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I need to replace a programmable light switch that was fried when a
contractor plugged a compresser into the outlet it controls. I am trying
to decide between these two Honeywell (Aube) programmable sunset/sunrise
switches.

The 540A:

http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/...imer-white.htm

and the 740B:

http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/...imer-white.htm

The 540A is similar to the one I've had for 10 years that was fried:

http://www.aubetech.com/products/pro...=75&noLangue=2

It is designed to replace a standard toggle switch. The problem is that
it can only handle 500 watts, which is why it was fried by the
compressor motor.

It also requires a minimum load of 40 watts. Why is that? Why would it
be damaged if the load were just a 25 watt bulb or a few 5 watt LED
candelabras?

If the load is under 40 watts, the unit will not get damaged, it simply
may not work.

The newer model above (540A) has a little safety switch on the front to
cut power to the switch while changing light bulbs to prevent a short.

The 740B has a limit of 1800 watts and no minimum, but it requires a
neutral line. The receptacle where I want to put it has just three
wires, which I think are the line (hot), the load (lights), and the
ground (bare wire).

Is there any way to use the 740B in that receptacle?

It looks like it just connects to a standard three prong receptacle
and does not require any special wiring.