Posted to rec.woodworking
Morgans Morgans is offline

Default Chinese crap

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 12/7/2013 8:13 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 14:50:42 -0500, woodchucker wrote:

I just replaced them last year, rotor and pads. You can't find anyone to
resurface rotors anymore.

My mechanic tells me that the rotors are made so thin nowadays
(supposedly to save weight) that it's not safe to turn them down.

Many rotors are a composite material vs. solid steel. You turn them you
ruin them.

Actually, they are cast iron, not steel. That said, quality control and
metallurgy are not Chinese strong points.

Add to that, that the makers of rotors for the Detroit iron used to age each
rotor, for up to a year before they put the factory turning on it and
shipped it out. That is the primary reason they used to hardly ever warp,
and if they did, not so badly. Do you think the Chinese age their cast iron
for a year? Nope.
--
Jim in NC

---