Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG[_2_] DanG[_2_] is offline

Default Removing paper backing from old Plexiglas

On 12/8/2013 7:23 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:51:51 AM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:
Yesterday I was about to toss all the Plexi scraps I have because the paper

backing is stuck on so tight it can't be peeled off. I decided to try

laquer thinner, assuming it was going to melt the plexiglass since they were

headed for the trash anyway.

I moistened a paper towel with it, place it on the paper backing and a few

minutes later it had softened the backing enough so that I could peel it

free (with a bit of work - the scraps are probably 25 years old).

The Plexiglas appears to be completely unharmed by the solvent, which really

surprised me. I thought would cloud it or melt it. I am now going to try

to figure out the best way to scale up the process to get the backing off

some very large sheets of 1/4" stuff. If anyone's interested I'll post the

brand of laquer thinner and the type of Plexiglas it's working on. I know I

have some Lexan scraps mixed in, so it may only work on certain types of

Plexi.

--

Bobby G.

I use "Quick 'n Easy" Specialty Adhesive Remover by AUTOTECH.

This stuff is awesome. Just spray it on and let it soak in to the paper,

then carefully peel it off. Wet a shop rag with the spray and wipe away
the residual adhesive.

By accident I had a bottle of brake fluid break open where it got on
some red plexiglas that I had been saving, but could not get the paper
off. It was not instant, but that paper came off in full sheets with
zero harm to the plexiglas.

If I have the problem again, I will look for the autotech product. No -
I know that I'm enough of a cheapskate, I'll probably go with the brake
fluid again.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G