J. Clarke

Default Newbie question: How to make finger joint cut

Scott Kuhn wrote:

wrote in message Scott-

what tools do you have?

Right now, only hand tools save for a 12" Makita Compound Miter Saw.

Hand Tools:
* Dozuki saw
* Full set of chisels
* Block Plane
* Marking knives, try square, etc.

I'm planning to buy power tools as I need them, probably starting with
a Tormek sharpening system as I'm tired of using sandpaper to sharpen
my chisels. I'm trying to figure out what to buy first, TS or router &
router table. Since the TS tends to scare the sawdust out of me, I'm
leaning towards the router. Having said that, Woodcraft just started
carrying a General International Tablesaw with a left-tilting blade
which looks _sweet_.

For the cut you're doing Dozuki and chisels would be the way to go unless
you want to go for the table saw.

Table saw or radial arm saw would be your first purchase IMO. Table saw is
the ripmaster, radial arm is the crosscut master. Both have their
strengths and weaknesses, either will do most of your straight cuts. Since
you already have a compound miter saw I'd go with the table saw.

Rather than the Tormek, consider getting a couple of 8" diamond plates
ranging from xtra course to extra fine and a black Arkansas or a polishing
waterstone. Even if you get the Tormek later you won't regret having them.
I can generally get from "beat up" to "surgically sharp" faster on those
than I can using a grinder. Several times in my life I considered a
powered sharpener and asked myself why, and the answer invariable was "fast
stock removal on a really beat up tool" or "fast stock removal to change
the cutting angle", and every time I added a coarser stone to my collection
until finally I had one course enough.

Cheers,
Scott

--