Default Newbie question: How to make finger joint cut

wrote in message

Scott-

what tools do you have?

On 14 Jul 2004 12:50:16 -0700, (Scott Kuhn)
wrote:

Right now, only hand tools save for a 12" Makita Compound Miter Saw.

Hand Tools:
* Dozuki saw
* Full set of chisels
* Block Plane
* Marking knives, try square, etc.

given that, I'd say use the dozuki and the chisels G

since you are doing this for practise, get some extra wood and try it
a few different ways. for instance, you can use the miter saw to do
the crosscut part. it's not the best possible way to do it, and you
will likely have to finish off the cut with a chisel, but you will
learn something and gain some skill with your saw in the process.

I'm planning to buy power tools as I need them, probably starting with
a Tormek sharpening system as I'm tired of using sandpaper to sharpen
my chisels. I'm trying to figure out what to buy first, TS or router &
router table.

get the table saw first. use it to build the router table. keep the
router table simple and figure on replacing it within a year as you
figure out what features you actually need. put the money you save
into a better quality router.

Since the TS tends to scare the sawdust out of me, I'm
leaning towards the router.

don't make the mistake of thinking that the router can't or won't bite
you. router injuries are nasty.....

Having said that, Woodcraft just started
carrying a General International Tablesaw with a left-tilting blade
which looks _sweet_.

it doesn't seem to be on their website yet.

shop around a bit- and if you want to read a bit more, choosing a
tablesaw is a subject that regularly gets beaten to death he
http://tinyurl.com/4p7hb

I recommend that you buy an older american made table saw.

Cheers,
Scott