View Single Post
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default Risk assessment my arse

On Saturday, December 7, 2013 10:45:21 AM UTC, Nightjar wrote:
It is usually the people who interpret the regulations wrongly who waste
money, not the HSE.

I know - but the HSE & ONS should be made jointly responsible for assessing excessive interpretation and costing it out (yes I know the ONS has at times turned out nonsense). Money wasted on H&S limits improvements to health & safety elsewhere, it is as bad as poor H&S.

In Management Consultancy (stop laughing :-) the classic used to be a HBR/Whatever book pushed out and no-one interpreted it correctly, Balanced Scorecard or Benchmarking or Systems Thinking etc. The author had to do a "Field Book" to walk people through its use with concrete examples.

The HSE should create the same specifically for the public sector, every myth costed out and what it meant in terms of books / childrens autistic/terminal centres and so on - for the country.
If the country got used to a cost-benefit analysis from secondary school we might get rid of the bizarre mentality throughout Big Government - and force the EU to do the same.

£100 wasted on an electrician standing there to hold an MCB x1000 a year across the whole country is £100,000.

A hospital.
Reams of EPC certificates on the wall, surveys, morons walking around, all to say what NHS Estates could tell you in a minute that the rating is "crap".
Meanwhile ALL the treatment rooms and optical assessment room have doorways 1/4" wider each side than a 16" off the shelf wheelchair's pushrims which had by chance been modified to use short not long spacers. Anyone with a wider wheelchair (which is 40%+) could physically not have got into the rooms..
Meanwhile the patient examination chair was a fixed arm office chair, with no possibility of anyone doing a banana board transfer to it.
Meanwhile there was no opening ventilation or forced extraction, leaving sweat to pour off surgeons faces doing eye examinations in hot weather, running into their eyes trying to examine a patient with sweat running into theirs.

Clipboard Morons had completed their Tick Box Economy - wasting money better spent elsewhere, from EPC to HSE. We need efficiency teams to go into councils and bulldoze as necessary - publishing what they find with cost-benefit costings. As farcical as the "Education Grade Improvements" by dumbing down content - until someone does a by-country comparison showing the sham.

If we made gov't money fixed, including public sector pay & pensions, we might force efficiency... and a lot of red banners walking down the streets.