Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] mail-veil@btinternet.com is offline

Default Loft insulation

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 16:48:37 +0000, Fredxxx wrote:

It looks pretty much like vermiculite to me. It's far more pleasant on
the skin and doesn't get suck in your throat like glass fibre and I have
no idea why the EPC surveyor disregarded it. They do have some strange
rules, the last one I talked to said they disregard the thickness of
wood if you've boarded your loft!

The last surveyor we had used a laptop and his program had drop-down
options. If what you had was not on the drop-down then tough he could
not enter it and did not feel inclined to add his own notes. In my
case I had a combination of 100mm of Rockwell and 100mm of Celotex
plus boards. All he could do was enter the physical thickness so it
went in as 200mm of 'insulation' which assumed, in the calcs, to be
as efficient as fibreglass and not the approximate effectiveness of
300mm. My complaints fell on deaf ears but one house viewer was so
impressed he bought the house - I am sure there were other reasons too

Mike