Posted to rec.woodworking
Paul Franklin[_2_] Paul Franklin[_2_] is offline

Default BLO/Poly/Solvent advice

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 12:58:50 -0500, Greg Guarino
wrote:
snip

I applied the mixture (with a t-shirt piece) and wiped it off after a
few minutes. I didn't time it; probably 5-8 minutes. I found that a
smattering of little wet dots (1/16" -1/8" in diameter) would reappear
quickly, after which I would re-wipe. (I used common paper towels for
the wiping, changing them often)

I repeated this quite a few times, but I don't think I ever ended up
with no wet dots at all. I told myself these were the inner surfaces of
a project that will be filled with CDs and let it go after maybe 5 wipings.
snip

I've used a similar recipe many times and also like the look.

I use a lot of oak, and most types of oil finish will show the effect
you saw. Oak has big pores and they get filled with oil. After you
wipe it down, the oil in the pores tends to seep back out and makes
the little dots. I just keep wiping the surface every few minutes
until the seeping stops.

It usually decreases with subsequent coats as the pores gradually get
filled up.

You can avoid the effect, and get a smoother finish faster, by using
paste wood filler on open grain woods like oak and mahagany. Not
filler like plastic wood filler, but paste filler made to fill the
wood pores.

Here's a link:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/material...ect-finishing/

Good luck and have fun!