Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default What's it called ... ?

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 10:01:10 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Anyone know the name or catalogue description of that flat ribbon cable,
usually grey but sometimes black, that has a sort of 'web' between the
conductors, and is tinned when you strip it ? Each individual wire is
probably about one wire-width distant from its neighbours, so a piece say
8
conductors wide would be about the same width as a 'traditional' ribbon of
16 conductors. It's used to interconnect boards typically - think HK Actor
or various Fender combos that have the preamp tubes on separate sub
boards.
Also used with those dreadful snatch connectors where the contacts grip
the
soldered wire surface so hard that you always finish up with the tinned
tails bending, which then makes them a bitch to get back into the
connector.

Something like this?
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/206111/16540597/0/1349446147/2_0_kapton_ribbon_Cable_ul5188.jpg
http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/7565316/2_0_kapton_ribbon_Cable_ul5188.html

I once found a vendor that will supply such ribbon cables cut to
length, but only if I buy them by the thousands. I only needed one,
to fix an oven controller, so I tediously made my own from individual
solid wires and tape. (Hint: The tape glue eventually melted in the
oven. Next time, I'll use RTV).

I don't think there's a specific name for such cable. It's just flat
ribbon cable.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

This is about as close as I've found so far

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOLEX-8820...item5af27135a6

Arfa