Posted to rec.woodworking
Jeff Mazur Jeff Mazur is offline

Default (New subscriber) Latest and greatest tools, and old-time tools

On Friday, December 6, 2013 10:04:06 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Quote "Good point about shop power - that's one other reason I got the

ShopSmith - it doesn't pop my wimpy 110V 15A breakers. High on my list,

won't be cheap though - I can do most of the wiring, but the subpanel

work will still be pricy." unQuote

This may be a partial do it your self job. In many places wiring, to be

done per government code, must be done under a Building Permit by a

license Electrician. I live in a rural county east of Raleigh and that

is the way it is here. I don't like the additional expense, BUT it is

for the protection of your family and future owners. While we may be

quite capable of doing the job, there are others who think they are.

Quote "Workbench need: acknowledged. Right now I'm using a couple 3/4"

ply tables on sawhorses with cross support using those dandy

table-building hangers from Rockler. Planning to build a couple nicer

ones with under-table storage that do double-duty as infeed-outfeed

tables, plus a rolling tool cart to keep the always-needed stuff close

at hand." unQuote

While there are those who will look down their noises at a movable bench

and say it is for amateurs, in reality is the best option for the DIY

shop. I have both my work bench and table saw on wheels. Since I am not

doing one operation for 8/7/52 weeks, it gives you a lot of flexibility.

While I did mine with the idea of using it as an outfeed table, its

biggest use is as a staging area when I am cutting a lot of pieces. (I

make my wife stretchers and picture frames and may have several dozen

pieces at a time.) Being mobile it can service the table saw, the drill

press or the router table. One non woodworking use is a sturdy mobile

platform for painting the ceiling, installing ceiling lights, and

changing light bulbs.

My work bench is made of 2 X 4 with all half lapped joints. The top is

1/2 inch plywood set into a half lapped 2X4 frame. There are four closed

cabinets at the ends and two large shelves. It is sturdy and is still

as strong to day as when I made it over 15 years ago.

I'm with you, Keith - the wiring I spoke of is simply runs from the subpanel box to outlets. I rewired my entire kitchen (open work, re-did walls and a couple windows in the process, so pretty easy,) after submitting plans approved by the township, and passed inspection with flying colors. An electrician friend taught me all the relevant techniques, codes, etc. and checked my work. But I leave the heavy lifting to the experts, rest assured. I like woodworking but don't want to have to build a new house

Would never look down my nose and anyone's bench or tools, everyone has different needs, preferences, etc. Hell, doing that would be like knocking another fellow's wife, not gentlemanly or kind at all. Me, I'm lucky - have a lot of room in my basement shop (24' x 32'), so I can be a little lavish in allocating bench and storage space, and will have a combination of some fixed benches along with a couple rollers.