Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Folding door hardware

" grunted in
:

It has a folding door that I quite like, but has just been attached to
the door frame and doesn't fit it at all.

1) The door is slightly (2cm) too short. Is there a way of making it
taller (e.g. gluing a strip of wood to the bottom). Or would making
the door frame slightly shorter by attaching some wood to the header
work better?

I'd definitely glue a strip to the bottom of the door; it would be much
less noticeable being at ground level (a previous owner did it it to our
living room door and it really doesn't bother me (and I'm dead fussy,
me).

2) What kind of door hardware do you fit to that kind of door? I
definitely want it to still be able to lie flat against the wall.
Recessed handles for the inside bit when folded closed? Knobs on the
outside either side of the fold? Roller catch to hold it shut?

I have a bathroom door like this in a property I rent out. When I bought
the place, there was no form of handle/catch in place - I think the idea
was you just had to sing very loudly while on the bog - but I wanted to
put this right before letting the place, so had the same issue as you. I
ended up putting a pull-knob on the outside, on the panel furthest away
from the main hinge but positioned fairly near the overall centre of the
door (the door folds *inwards* so the pull knob doesn't impinge).

On the inside of the door I fitted a flush-fitting ring pull like this:
http://www.willowandstone.co.uk/cms-...ass-flush-fit-
ring-pull-_1.jpg - again, on the outer panel close to the mid-line hinge
(ISTR the two handles were almost back-to-back). My first attempt
involved a non-recessed handle, which was rubbish, as it prevented the
two door panels from folding properly. The slight 'gotcha' is the door
is a hollow, thin-walled MDF construction, and there's bugger all to
attach the recessed handle to (and it needs firmly anchoring to resist
pulling forces). Think I solved that one with copious quantities of car
body filler!

As for a catch, I just ended up using a brass hook-and-eye inside the
bathroom (so the door can't actually be latched shut from the outside).
That's probably inappropriate for a kitchen though.

HTH
--
David