U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

Default Newbie question: How to make finger joint cut

On 13 Jul 2004 20:56:48 -0700, (Scott Kuhn)
wrote:

No, that is what i will eventually be after, but right now it's much
simpler...

http://home.comcast.net/~scott_d_kuhn/index.html

So now that it's clear what joint I'm trying to make, how would you
make it accurately and repeatably? I stopped in my local Woodworking
store and asked a guy there, and he said he'd do it on a jigsaw or
maybe a bandsaw.

Hmmmm . . .

I don't see a lot of glue surface there.

"Glue surface" is long-grain. The only "long grain to long grain"
contact in that joint is where the two horizontals meet.

That's a weak joint.

There's a reason why we're still cutting dovetails, finger joints, and
mortises and tenons--LOTS of glue surface.

If you have hand tools, you want dovetails for that application.

If you've a table saw, use a dado to cut finger joints.

If you've a router, either finger joints OR dovetails.

If the joinery won't show, I've made similar joints with internal glue
blocks screwed into both sides of the joint--fast and easy, though none
too attractive.