Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Choosing Furnace Efficiency

On 12/5/2013 9:28 PM, Big Giant Head wrote:

Carrier guy:

80% Conventional 90,000 BTU/H Carrier $2450.
Likewise but branded Payne $2250.

80% 2-stage 90,000 BTU/H Carrier $2850.

95% 80,000 BTU/H Carrier $3250.
Payne $3050.

Lennox Guy:

80% 70,000 Conventional $2400.
80% 70.000 Variable $3715.

The latter is a lot for non high efficiency (which he didn't offer).

I could not actually accept the Lennox bids as is since it says 70,000
but maybe that's just an writing error. If we stay at 80% and assume the
90,000 is fine and decent duty cycles even in below zero weather, then we
need the same size. Dropping a notch if we go higher efficiency of
course.

Assuming you are 80% that makes sense, but are you? I'd ask the guy why
he is quoting a smaller unit. It does seem odd that he would quote that
much smaller.