Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what use are broadband speed checks

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:35:56 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Assuming there is nothing drastically wrong 100BaseT is speced to

100
Mbps over 100 m of Cat5 cable... I think Gigabit has the same

length
limit.

It will maintain that over a lot longer..

Which "it"? 100BaseT is speced to 100 Mbps at 100 m, it ain't going
to stop at 100 m and 1 mm. B-)

I THOUGHt gigabit was less however

but it seems you are in fact right!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabit_Ethernet

On Cat5e as well. I looked at this and got moderately confused as
there is afir bit of conflicting information out there, when flooding
this place with network and coax. Decided that Cat5e is good
enough(*) and less finickity about being pulled twisted snagged and
kinked etc when installed by a spark rather than a network
installation bod who ought to know how to treat the cable...

(*) After all the data only comes off a bluray disc at about 50 Mbps
and SDI lives on coax.

--
Cheers
Dave.