Posted to rec.woodworking

Default (New subscriber) Latest and greatest tools, and old-time tools

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 04:13:16 -0800, Jeff Mazur wrote:

So, first a question: I'm finding that used power tools are a pretty
great deal, especially hobbyist-grade, since so many hobbyists only use
them lightly, or even abandon the hobby before long. Are there any
modern tools, new ones that are new to the marketplace that are
must-haves or really-great-to-haves? Sawstop comes to mind as a good
example, IMO. Others?

I read the other responses to your query before posting this. You got
some good suggestions and some not so good. I'd stay away from that $20
HF multi-tool - while some have made it work, a lot of users have
complained that the blades work loose - they did for me.

OTOH, the latest HF 12" sliding miter saw got great reviews. I bought
one because of those reviews and so far I agree with them.

Something that's come along in the last few years are those digital angle
gauges. Get one - worth its weight in gold.

As far as new power tools go, nothing that's a "must have" comes to
mind. I will say that after buying a thickness sander (Jet 10/20) it
certainly made avoiding tearout easy.

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.