Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Replace Halogen Bulbs With LEDs?

On 12/4/2013 7:34 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 19:20:07 -0800, mike wrote:

On 12/4/2013 6:58 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 18:17:10 -0800, Todd wrote:

On 12/04/2013 06:04 PM,
wrote:
LEDs aren't ready for prime time yet and
Halogen's light is perfect.

If you don't mind burning your house down.

Utter nonsense. You snipped the part where I said that halogen lamps
aren't any hotter than standard bulbs (cooler, actually), in the same
envelope.

Ok, a watt is a watt. But, aren't the envelopes radically different for the
same wattage in typical consumer applications?

Yes and no. There are "naked" halogen bulbs that do get quite hot but
they're really no big deal if you take some small precautions. There
are also halogen bulbs that have identical envelopes to those of
standard incandescent bulbs. They come in the standard A series
envelopes, reflector spots and floods, and many other standard shapes,
intended as "tungsten" replacements. The light from these is superior
to standard bulbs.

Sure they do, but we're talking about a home user replacing bulbs he can
get a home depot at competitive prices. You tend to take a fringe view
and beat people over the head with it.

Based on watching this group for a while, I'd have to say that a lot of
what you say is technically correct, but irrelevant and even harmful in the
context being discussed.

The clueless asking questions don't have the knowledge or experience to
interpret what you say. If they did, they wouldn't have asked the question
in the first place.
In a practical home situation with lamps you bought from Ikea, the risk
of burning your house down is greater with halogens. "Utter nonsense"
gives the WRONG IMPRESSION.

Some of us think in the context of the original posting.