Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Replace Halogen Bulbs With LEDs?

"Gary" wrote:
"Gary" wrote in message om...
Hi,

Our electrician recommended we replace the 85 50W halogen spotlights in
our ceilings with LEDs. We live in Costa Rica where electricity is
expensive and frequent lightening strikes and power surges blow out
bulbs. If possible we will use 12V LEDs. We will also be adding a
whole house surge protector. Our apartment has recessed CFLs in the
ceilings. Would that be a better option? We have no experience with
LED lighting. We would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks,
Gary

A little additional information from the OP

Our house is in the Costa Rican mountains. Our climate is such that we
need neither air conditioning nor heat. Our electric bill is $180/mo
which covers lights and the pool pump. There are only two of us and only
a few bulbs are on at a time. Cooking and hot water are propane.
Ceilings are mostly 15 feet which makes changing bulbs inconvenient.
Even with 85 halogen bulbs, the chandeliers, and the wall sconces the
house is under lit. One advantage of changing to LEDs is we can go above
the 50W equivalent and get a little more light.

Thanks,
Gary

Your problem is surges. 12 volt wiring sounds good, except how the 12 volts
is down converted is another problem. Any electronics is likely to be
zapped. Resistors are inefficient. I would think you may want to go a room
at a time to see what works in the long run. Separate emergency lights for
each room is another Thought.

Greg